Come listen to living prophets

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Finding Joy and Love in Service


Today as I was in stake conference, there was a speaker who talked about making home teaching more meaningful, and gave the example of how his own home teacher became so invested in him personally. I was reminded of my mission president and his wife, and how it seemed even before they really came to know me personally, they loved me. I was then reminded of how I grew to love the people of Antonito, the last town I served in on my mission. The town I never would have chosen personally to be sent to preach the gospel, but eventually grew to love with all my heart. I’ve sometimes wondered how I truly grew to love a place that seemed so forlorn and cast off the face of the earth, and what really changed it for me was just serving there. The Lord truly blesses us with the ability to love all those whom we are called to serve, and I’m so grateful for that. With that in mind, I’m coming to understand a little better how the Lord loves us, because really, we don’t merit anything to have His love, but He does nonetheless. I think part of it is simply because we are His children. He created us and loves us for that alone, not to mention the countless other reasons. Knowing that makes such a difference in my life. I know that as we are called to serve others, whether it be as a missionary, a relief society president, or even just a home teacher or visiting teacher, we have the opportunity to expand our capabilities as a servant of Jesus Christ and grow in our love towards our fellow brothers and sisters. I hope that we will all take advantage of these opportunities whenever they present themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment