Come listen to living prophets

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Upside of Failing

This past semester for the first time in my academic career, I flunked a class. Not a C, not even a D, a straight up F (or an E in BYU grades, since apparently we're too cool to use F's). I had hoped that by doing the minimal amount of work for my Spanish class that somehow I'd be able to get by. However, given that it is pass/fail class, I couldn't get anything lower than a B- if I wanted to pass. Over the break, to my great dismay, I discovered that I would be retaking the class. At first, I was infuriated. Partly at my teacher, but mostly at myself. Why had I been kidding myself the entire semester? At what point did I honestly believe that my meager efforts would magically amount to a passing grade?

While part of me still wishes I could have avoided the entire experience altogether, I'm grateful for what this experience has taught me. If I want to get a passing grade, I can't just be hoping to get by when I don't put forth my best efforts. This coming semester I've vowed to put forth more effort and energy than before in my Spanish classes. I've been too lackadaisical the past semester in my studies, and this is just what I needed to help me recognize that I can't keep doing what I have. While I know this is going to make things more hectic this semester, I look forward to having this opportunity to do better than I have before.

I'm so glad that Heavenly Father gives us second chances as well and that when we fail, we have the opportunity to use the Atonement of Jesus Christ to overcome our challenges and weaknesses. It is by no means a simple process, just like obtaining a passing grade, but it can be done. The Lord allows us to fail so we may more fully recognize our dependence upon Him. I love this song by Kenneth Cope because it reminds me that when we feel broken and like we are beyond repair, the Savior can step into our lives and help us overcome whatever challenges we are facing. So next time you find yourself failing at something, don't get too down on yourself. Remember that if the Lord is willing to let us fail at times, He is more than willing to help us get back on our feet and become better than we were before.

1 comment:

  1. I love your perspective - and considering all you had going on last semester in other boats, honestly, sometimes something's just gotta give. And keeping up a language is just plain hard. The bright side is now you know everything for the next go round.

    ReplyDelete