Come listen to living prophets

Monday, December 19, 2011

4 Years Ago...

To the date, I made a decision that would change my life forever. I entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT in preparation to serve in the Colorado Colorado Springs Mission. If you had told me back then everything that was going to happen in the next 2.5 years, I'd have told you that you were crazy. If someone had told me that I would come home for six months due to unforseen medical conditions, I'd have laughed in your face and told you I couldn't do it. If you'd have mentioned I'd spend the last third of my mission in a town of less than 1,000 people, I'd have asked my mission president to never let me go there.

But, if you'd also have told me that those six months would teach me more than any six months prior to my mission, that I would eventually overcome those medical conditions, that in that town of less than 1,000 people I would have more baptisms than I did in any other area, I wouldn't change a thing. And nor would I today.

I hate to sound like everyone else in the church, but to all you young men out there, you really have to experience a mission for yourself to be able to relate to the experiences of mission life. They are so personal and unique. I gained a testimony in the field more than ever that our Heavenly Father knows us by name and is aware of our individual situations. I know I spent my last blogpost talking about this as well, but I don't think I can emphasize just how important this choice in your life is. Nothing in the world can compare to this experience. Those who choose to not serve missions are not less loved by God, nor do RM's necessarily receive a higher degree of glory than them either. But it will help build upon your testimony to give you a lifetime of experiences from which you can draw upon. To all those who have served, never forget what this experience means to you and stay true to the covenants you have made and the things you know to be true. Too many RM's are making rather poor life decisions and not living up to the standards they did before. Remember what you taught others on your mission, that our Savior Jesus Christ lived and died for us. He lives for us today and through the Atonement, we may become clean from our sins and live with our Father in Heaven again with our families. That knowledge is what keeps me going and I'll be forever grateful for my mission continually reminding me of the importance of that knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment