Come listen to living prophets

Friday, December 9, 2011

In the Service of Your God



I stumbled upon this video without really looking today, but man is it powerful. Growing up as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, there was virtually never a time where I questioned serving a mission for the church. As my testimony continued to grow as a teenager, so did my desire to serve. It wasn't until I got out into the field I began to struggle. I knew I was supposed to be serving but I didn't know for myself why. One young woman in particular challenged my feelings about serving a mission and made me rethink why I had come out to Colorado to share the gospel. That experience changed the rest of my mission and my life. As I took the time to pray earnestly and search the scriptures diligently for an answer to my questions, I learned for myself that whether or not I saw a lot of baptisms in my time as a missionary was irrelevant. What really mattered was my devotion to sharing this priceless message with my spiritual brothers and sisters and doing my best to help them recognize their relationship with their Father in Heaven. In so doing, I would be a lot more likely to bring souls to Christ.

I'm so grateful for people who I met on my mission that changed my life forever. I had the opportunity to be an influence for good in the lives of many, but I feel like so many more helped me personally. For all of you young men out there wondering if you should serve a mission, I strongly encourage you to pray earnestly to your Father in Heaven and find out for yourself the power for good you can be in someone's life by being a missionary, and the blessings that will come regardless of where you serve. Some may feel I mention the blessings of my mission a little more frequently than is necessary, but I don't think I can emphasize that point enough. My mission has made me who I am today in so many ways. You will be amazed at how many people you meet like the woman in this video who leave an imprint on your life that cannot be erased. If you know anyone who is currently serving, consider taking the time to write to them and remind them to never give up, especially when things get difficult. Letters from home mean the world to missionaries, and motivational ones even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment