Come listen to living prophets

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Power of Temples and Covenants


Yesterday afternoon was an awesome stake conference meeting. Perhaps to the surprise of some, the focus was not eternal marriage, but the importance of temples and the significance they play in our lives. A member of the Provo temple presidency and his wife both spoke, along with members of the stake presidency and other members of the stake, and all of them gave outstanding talks. One of the best comments that I enjoyed was made by the wife and she said "The temple covenants are not restrictive, but that they are for our protection". The other day I saw an article in the New York Times that talked about the some of the restrictions we face at BYU and just the church as a whole like no tattoos and the like. In addition, they talked to some members that had found "ways around the rules" and what they did and listed their suggestions. You can read them here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/fashion/young-mormons-find-ways-to-be-hip.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&sq=Rebelling%20if%20only%20just%20a%20little&st=cse&scp=1
Needless to say, I thought the concept was rather ridiculous. I mean, sure, I wish I didn't have to worry about shaving facial hair on a regular basis here at BYU, but I don't feel like its really limiting my agency or the ability to express myself. I know that the Lord has given us commandments for our ultimate benefit. Life's not really about what we're willing to live with sometimes; it's what we're willing to live without.
There were great talks given in the other session of stake conference today as well. There was a variety of topics covered. I was particularly impressed by a comment made in a talk by one of the Elders Quorum Presidents from my ward. He made the point that our futures will be glorious if we keep our covenants. I agree that no matter what happens in life, we can always rely upon the power of the Savior's Atonement and the covenants that we have made to give us strength. I'm so grateful that my parents taught me the importance of the temple, not just by putting up pictures in my home, but by attending on a regular basis. The temple pictured above is my favorite temple for many reasons, but especially because of the covenants that I made there and the many times I've been able to return to renew and remember them. I look forward to the day when I will have the opportunity to make more and receive the blessings that come from that. My life would not be the same without regular temple attendance. I'm so grateful to have one so close by here in Provo and I hope that we will all take advantage of the opportunities that we have to attend our own temples whenever we get the chance.
I had an interesting experience walking to campus Saturday morning. I made the commitment that I would focus my thoughts on what I had been studying earlier that morning from a General Conference talk, just to see if I could do it and I was amazed at how difficult it was. In just a matter of fifteen minutes, it was all I could do to not be distracted by everything that was going on around me. It was a reminder of how important it is to take time to go to the temple and take advantage of the opportunities to ponder and pray about the things that concern us the most. The Spirit is so strong there. It is my goal to not only endeavor to seek the Spirit while in the temple, but to bring it back home with me as well and make my own home a place where it can reside.

No comments:

Post a Comment