Come listen to living prophets

Saturday, October 22, 2011

This is Your Brain After Binge-Studying



O.k. not really, but this still an epic picture right? And truly I'm glad this isn't what happened after trying to cram for my midterms today. I've made a promise to myself that if I do end up teaching college, I will not create tests for my classes like the one that I took for American Literature. I am grateful to my teacher in that he did give us ample information as to what we could expect to see on the test. However, given that the majority of it was identifying quotes from our texts and giving really brief summaries of what we learned from them, it was A TON of information to try and pack into my brain in a short period of time. But even with several days of studying, it would have been too much in my opinion. Why you ask? I believe that our brains work a great deal like our stomachs when it comes to the intake of information compared to the intake of food. Ration yourself, have three good meals a day, and eating becomes a rather enjoyable activity. Subject yourself to a lot of food in a short period of time, and I mean A LOT of food in a very short period of time, and you won't be retaining a great deal of it. The same goes for studying. Reading and preparing for class discussions can be enjoyable when you pace yourself. Try to memorize sixty different quotes, what they mean, and fifty some odd key terms in a short period of time and you can bet that if I had to retake that midterm in a week, I'd probably flunk it. Granted, I could have taken some time earlier in the week to study some more, but when you're trying to put that much information in your head, unless you review it on a regular basis, you can bet that you won't retain it for long at all.
Well, enough on my ridiculous midterm rant, last night Becca and I went to the Nickelcade over in Orem and had a great time playing arcade games and winning tickets for intriguing prizes. I found out that my pinball skills have kind of gone down the drain since I last played and I should practice some more and that Becca and I are pretty evenly matched in Air Hockey. We ended the night with 361 tickets. Becca got a fan like the one you see below, only not quite as fancy.
And I got me one of these...
Ok, so it was more like this one that can fit in your hand, but you've got to admit, having something like that in your house would be pretty awesome.
We also got some WarHeads and got a kick out watching the faces we made as the candy made initial contact with our tongues.
I'm so looking forward to church tomorrow and not having to worry about midterms for at least a few more days :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment