Come listen to living prophets

Friday, October 7, 2011

The Spectacular Life I Lead



So first off, tonight I had the opportunity to go the BYU Spectacular featuring just about all the amazing performing groups on campus and the legendary Brian Stokes Mitchell. I'm kind of ashamed to say that before tonight, I really knew nothing about him other than the fact that he was the singing voice of Jethro in The Prince of Egypt for the song "Through Heaven's Eyes". If you ever have the opportunity to hear him in concert, take advantage of it. It will be worth it!

Before the show I met up with Becca, her sister Jenny, and her mom at Zupas Cafe, which clearly is Utah's competition for Panera Bread. Extremely good sandwiches! I had Becca order for me since I was running late and she got the Honey Bacon Club (as pictured below and I must say, it doesn't do it justice at all). Simply a masterpiece. I must say my girlfriend has a great sense of taste. So, if you happen to find yourself in a similar situation, having to order something from Zupas, having never been there, I recommend this!
Today was my second day of teaching Senior AP English at Lone Peak High School. It went pretty good overall, but I have a LONG way to go with improving my teaching skills. I really need to work on asking better questions to get students talking more. That's one of the greatest challenges I've faced so far.
On a more serious note, I read a very interesting article on the front page of The New York Times this morning about the death of Steve Jobs. While for many of us, the announcement of this event was abrupt and unexpected, it was not so for many of his closer friends and family. However, he only allowed so many people to come and pay their final condolences to him. One of his closest friends once asked what he thought about having kids and Jobs replied, "It's 10,000 times better than anything I've ever done." Now, I'm no expert on all the accomplishments of Jobs, but I think it's safe to say that he brought about some pretty revolutionary achievements in the tech world. And despite those triumphs, he says in essence that having kids doesn't even compare. It's good to know that whatever I choose to do for a living that when I come to the end of my life, what will matter most is not how successful I was in my occupation, but in my own relations with my family. I look forward to raising my own family someday and plan to be the best father I can be for them. I'm so grateful to have the amazing family that I do and a father to whom I couldn't look for a better example. R.I.P. Steve Jobs, and thank you for reminding us all of what truly matters in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment