Come listen to living prophets

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Borrowing Faith and Light



So this is one of my favorite Christian/gospel songs (don't judge the song by the name of the artist!). I'm not sure if that's the proper genre designation, but that's what comes to my mind. I had never heard it until I was on my mission and one of my companions introduced me to a bunch of this kind of music. This one particularly struck me because at this point on my mission, I was really beginning to wonder if I was going to make it. I had to return home for six months because of unforseen medical complications and before I could return to my original mission in Colorado Springs, I was asked to serve in my home mission, Mesa Arizona, for a few months to make sure I was up to the task again. I wanted more than anything to go back out, but sometimes I just wasn't sure how I'd make the transition back to my original mission, if they'd let me at all. There was also a strong possibility I would stay in the Mesa mission, and as much as I grew to love the people there, I desperately wanted to go back to Colorado. I'm so grateful that I had the incredible companion that I did who always stood by my side and helped me through everything I faced at that time. This song reminds me of him because he reached out to me and helped me go forward when I didn't know if I could.

Now, let me make a clarification here. I don't believe that living on borrowed faith or light permanently is by any means a good idea. It is not a source that can be substituted for our own faith. However, in the moments when my faith is weaker than it usual, I believe its ok to turn to others for help to strengthen our faith. I'm so glad that I have people around me to turn to for help. I won't name specifics, but you know who you are. Thank you for helping me get through experiences that I couldn't possibly on my own.

I also believe that the Savior also says this to us in essence. In D&C 17:8 it says, "And if you [keep my commandments] which I have given you, the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; for my grace is sufficient for you, and you shall be lifted up at the last day". He knows that we are imperfect and that we are going to struggle at times, and He performed the Atonement so we could overcome them. I'm so grateful for the power of the Holy Ghost, and how it helps us to feel the love and power of our Savior's Atonement not only for our sins, but for our hard times as well. We will be able to find peace in His love when it seems that no other source can provide that love we yearn for as we follow His commandments and keep our covenants with Him. Looking back on those moments of my life always fills me with gratitude knowing that the Lord has been with me the entire time, and will continue to be with me through the remainder of my days. I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment