Come listen to living prophets

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Kind of Dad I Hope to Be

I have been so very blessed to grow up with and still have an amazing father alive and well today. I never knew how much influence he had on me until I left my home. I regularly turned to him for advice and help with just about everything and it was very difficult for me getting used to not having that same privilege on my mission. I'm so grateful he's no more than a phone call away, whenever I need him.

As I was glancing through articles on a website I frequent, I came across a particularly outstanding one. The author is pretty well known in the LDS community and writes a weekly column for this website. I don't always read his articles, but when I do, they are almost always exceptional. In this particular article the author reflects on his soon-to-be 16-year-old daughter and what he wished he knew when he was her age. I expected him to rattle off a typical list of dumb things we wish we could have avoided when we were that age in high school, but he placed more emphasis on his relationship with her. To quote, "I want my daughter to know that when I’m impatient, I love her. When I’m working late at my office on an immovable deadline, I love her. When she makes mistakes and hurts her mother’s feelings, I love her. She knows how much I love to write. But does she know I love her more? She knows how much I love my golf, tennis, church and political buddies. But does she know I love her more? She knows how much I love tacos, desserts, book signings, speaking engagements and ESPN. But does she know I love her more?"- http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705395010/What-I-wish-Id-known-when-I-turned-16.html?pg=1

Again, I'm so blessed to have a father who always made me a priority and never failed to show his love for me. We weren't without our disagreements at times, but to this day, I know that whatever advice my dad gives me, he does it out of complete sincerity and love for me. I hope to have that same kind of relationship with my own children someday and plan to make it the best I can.


This song never fails to move me. It expresses the incredible bond that a father and his child can have. I'm also infinitely grateful for a Father in Heaven who loves me beyond my comprehension. I'm so glad He allows me to have trials that give me the opportunity to develop a better relationship with Him and my Savior Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. This song made me cry - thanks for sharing. Dang it - but you're such a good person sometimes.

    ReplyDelete