Come listen to living prophets

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Letting Go and Holding On


President Packer gave an outstanding talk tonight. At the beginning of his talk he told us to not worry about taking notes, but to pay more attention to what we would feel. I'm so glad that he did. He talked about so many things, but there were a few that really stood out to me. I was grateful to be reminded that through the Atonement, we can overcome all of our sins, and the guilt that comes from them can be washed away. It is incredible to consider that the One Being in this world, our Savior Jesus Christ, who did no wrong, would suffer for all of our sins, pains, and afflictions that we would ever have to face in this life. Through the Atonement, we can let go of anything that would attempt to hold us back.
Tonight as I have been pondering, I came across one of my favorite songs by Cherie Call called Holding On. In this song, she talks about some temporal things that she would like to get rid of, and some of the spiritual things that she will always hold on to. There's one stanza I absolutely love. It says:
"You can't keep a harvest moon, it fades away all too soon
And even the trees let go of their leaves
much quicker than you'd ever choose
So many people say goodbye, I see those
teardrops in their eyes And I start to wonder how I'd live without
love
And I'm glad I never have to try"
There's a lot of things that I've had to let go of in life, some of which have been very difficult that wish I never would have had to. But I know that despite my losses I will never have to worry about being surrounded by people who love and care about me. I couldn't ask for better family or friends in this life. I know that I sound like a broken record when I say this stuff, but they mean the world to me. I'm so grateful for Jesus Christ, the love that He has for me, and that His Atonement not only has the power to rid us of the guilt that comes from our sins, but that it can help heal our hearts and help us to overcome whatever trials that come our way. Through its power, we can eventually let go of any pain and sorrow that come from our hard times. I couldn't have possibly guessed a year ago what a year in Utah would teach me. There have been some very trying times, but there have been so many more good things that have come as a result. My trials have taught me so much and I hope that I will continue to learn all that Heavenly Father wants me to from them. I hope that I will continue to let go of the things that I need to, and hold on to those that matter most.
During the last transfer of my mission, it seemed Murphy's Law was working overtime on me. It seemed like every day I didn't know how I'd make it until the end of my mission. So many things that I had worked hard for seemed to backfire and fall apart on me. And while it didn't turn out how I wanted it to, I learned so much from those experiences, particularly that even when your world seems to be falling apart around you, The Lord can help you overcome all things. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything, because if ever there was a lesson I needed to learn, it was that one. The Lord knows the beginning from the end and He has a plan so much better than the one we do. That vision has stayed with me to this day and it helps me discern what I need to hold on to and what I need to let go of. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment